Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Underwear Lady

I need your writing gifts out there..people. I spent the day at the Mayo with my mom and dad. I don't have the energy to write about that. It was a very difficult day today. (You can see the FCC post..I toned it down a bit for the congregation....emotionally....it was exhausting.) Anyway....the "other" story.

So I met my mom's new friend on the cancer floor. She also has acute leukemia and has been in the hospital for over a month. She's mid-fifties, mother of three grown children, and an administrator of a christian school for 20 years. She is currently bald as a sweet nurse helped to shave her head because she kept finding clumps of hair on her shoulder and that was devastating to her. She is awaiting a bone transfer from her brother, she just has to get strong enough to take it. It's sitting in a freezer in a zip lock bag with her name on it.

This sweet woman is called, "Underwear Lady" because all of her friends and family have been anonymously sending her new underwear as a joke. She has bikinis, thongs, striped, hand decorated, grandma bloomers..maybe 30 pair. Her sisters pinned them up on her hospital curtain and many of them have crazy sayings attached. The best part is, when she walks the halls she takes the iv cart with her that is fully decorated with sexy lacy undies, boxers...all kinds of crazy underwear. She herself is not attached to the iv pole anymore, she just pushes it to bring people joy. She said, she carries around her underwear so that everyone will be curious, come into her room, and read the daily Bible verse up on her wall and they will experience Jesus.

She told many funny stories about the doctor's reactions, etc. One nurse comes in more than necessary just to be around this amazing woman. She is full of joy, laughter, yet her pain and grief are real. She looked me in the eyes and told me that it was all going to be okay. Even if my dad died suddenly, God was still good and we were going to be okay. Coming from this woman, it meant so much. We hugged, we cried, she told me that she loved me and my mom and if we needed anything at all, to call her in the middle of the night. She would pray. This saint, who has her own burden to bear, wants to lift us up. Only God could put that kind of love into someone who doesn't even know us. She told us that we were family. And, because of Jesus, she is right.

I told her underwear lady wasn't a good enough name for her....as I was walking out, she said, "Lingerie...and all I could think of was Lunatic". We laughed and laughed. But, she still needs a classy name. Can you guys help me think of one?

10 comments:

-V- said...

What a beautiful lady... Having a hard time naming her without experiencing her - but her present ministry could be called 'A Delicate Touch'. Perhaps finding out what on earth inspired people to send her underwear in the first place would help with the name...? :-) I love that you're noticing and calling out beauty as you're walking through this, Sheri... You're right - sometimes how it hits you is a lot about who says it.

Carla said...

Hmmmm
Something with panties? Underpants? Bloomers? It's late and I am heading for bed.
Sheri,
Still praying for you girl.

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing story, and it really moved me. Unexpected experiences you get to have that you wouldn't otherwise have had if you weren't going through the trial. I don't have a name for her either, but she is maybe my favorite image of the week.

erin said...

Panty Polly
Silky Sophie
Sweet Nothings Sally
Vicky Secrets
Thelma Thong
Bonnie Bloomer
No, I've got it!!!
The Pantaloon Princess!

Praying for you and the impression YOU leave on others--it goes both ways! : )

zcoffeegirl said...

Oh Erin...thank you so much! I think the Pantaloon Princess is the keeper. I forwarded the names onto my dad's email....just think...you will give a sister in Christ a laugh today, encouragement that others know about her.....and you've never met. God is truly amazing. Thanks for the post. And praying..my impression...come Lord, Jesus. I can't do it on my own.

erin said...

; )
I have to say, Thelma Thong is pretty good, too.
[Patting myself on my back.]

kristi noser said...

You forgot
"Lacy Lucy The Elastic Fantastic"

LadyD said...

What about the "Brief Beleiver"?
Just Kidding, I like Erin's Pantaloon Princess!! LadyD

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri, I read your blog about your dad and was so moved by your testimonies of love and trust in the sovereingty of God. We have been praying for you and your family and I also was so moved to read of your stories with you and your dad, as it makes me think of me and my dad. He's not saved and doesn't have cancer but I love him so much and I can't stand the thought of him being lost for eternity or to bear to see him go through any sickness. It breaks my heart and so I can only begin to feel your pain for your dad.
I have sent these two links to an alternative treatment for cancer and other illnesses I hope you would take a minute to read up on them. After hearing testimonies from several severely cancer-sick patients, who are now completely healed. Their stories are ones of miraculous recoveries all from natural treatments. I will continue to keep you in our prayers and we mourn with those who mourn. Love in Christ, Sara


http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/Gerson-therapy.htm

http://www.gerson.org/g_therapy/default.asp

LisaC said...

I just ran across your post about the "underwear lady" and loved it. I have a magazine for the chronically ill, but am also putting together a proposal for Chicken Soup for the Soul for those with illness. Would you have any interest in rewriting it a bit and submitting it? It'd be perfect! My email is rest@restministries.org
Lisa Copen