Wednesday, October 3, 2007

God is the Gospel

This is the title of John Piper's new book. He has written all about the following in it. Haven't read it yet, but I listened to an online sermon that expounded on Romans 8:28...one of the most quoted Bible verses of all time.
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

The past few days I've been cringing when I hear, "God is good.". I know it in my head, I believe it with my heart, but I don't feel like it right now. I have these pangs in my gut when I think about my dad. Maybe it's another step in digesting the reality that he has cancer and he doesn't have much longer on this earth. Here's a man who is sold out for the kindgom, in the last chapter of his ministry, and it's being cut short.

Yep, I know all the right responses to the above statements...God's plans are better than ours...He is going to do a great work through this suffering...I'm not making light of this, I believe it. But, I'm not there emotionally. In my heart, I don't want this to be my dad's last Christmas. I want my girls to know their Bapa. He's a fun grandpa. I want to be able to call him and hear his voice. When he's at the office, my mom and can I call in and reach him at any time. He told his secretaries to always put us through, even if he's in a meeting. I can always call and hear his voice. I want my mom to have him to grow old with. I don't want her to be all alone. Lots of "I" statments, I know.

So what does one do with all of the thoughts, the pain, the heart that desires something different...something that doesn't seem to be God's plan? I've been listening to sermons every night when I go to sleep. I'm working on filling my mind with the truth, and praying and giving God all of my laments. Here's what I was reminded of this morning, as I relistened to this sermon again....(this is Piper's words..not mine)

Loving God is not a response for God being good to me. Loving God is not something that we do. It is not a response to being saved. (He said he's been working 30 years to put this in writing and to understand it)...

Loving God is in its essence:
desiring God in and beyond His gifts
treasuring God in and beyond His gifts
delighting in God in and beyond His gifts
being satisfied with God in and beyond His gifts
cherishing God in and beyond His gifts
Savoring God himself in and beyond His gifts
Valuing God in and beyond His gifts
prizing God in and beyond His gifts
revering God in and beyond His gifts
admiring God in and beyond His gifts

We can be trapped with wanting God to give us his gifts, but according to Rom. 8:28, we have to love him first. So, do we love him first, so we can get his gifts? And round and round we go. He offered a way out of this. He said the escape path for my heart is to look at the promise of God (Rom. 8:28), look through it, before it applies to me, and look straight at God. See Him, taste Him, feel Him, linger with God, look at Jesus, think about his life, what He did for us, watch God's actions in History...and then pray Deut. 30:6.

"The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your decendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live."
So, my prayer is just that. God, change my heart, help me to have the faith to believe, because even that comes from you. Help me to love you and savor you for who you are, not what I think you should do for me to live a comfortable life.

My dad said it in the hospital, "Either I believe what I preach or I don't. I choose to believe."


(The sermon is on the radio broadcast archives..."All Things for Good..3/22/07 - 3/29. There are six 24 minute segments..I'd give you the link, but I don't know how to find it.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and praying for your family. Love you sister.

LadyD said...

I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” John 11:25
Our time on earth is so short, I am sure it is little consolation right now-but, you will be with you Dad FOREVER in Heaven. You know I am new to finding verses but I hope this helps.

Unknown said...

At the same time that I lament along with you I am also encouraged by your words to keep fighting with faith. Thank you Sheri.

football freak said...

Mom, the reality that bapa won't be around much longer hasn't really hit me yet. But I keep praying and asking God to help our family be content.

-V- said...

Such good truth, sister - thank you for sharing that. And His light shines in the darkness, and the darkness cannot hide it...

I think you got some of your daddy's preacher genes (meant in the very best of ways). And there's evidence even on this page that his legacy (and His legacy) is continuing on through your life and testimony.

Careangel said...

I struggled with this very thing when Gerrell was sick. I and so many people prayed for a healing miracle. At times I would argue with God asking him why he decides to "earthly" heal certain people but he continued to let Gerrell get sicker and sicker and go through so much pain and agony. I wanted so much for him to be healed--but God didn't see it that way. I had to accept the fact that God had a heavenly healing in his plan for Gerrell. God had spared his life once already back in 1992. If he would have died back then, he would not have gone to heaven--and he and I would have never met. I was quickly reminded how totally in control God really is and now cannot wait to see Gerrell again in heaven. As the tears flow, I pray that Jesus will return very soon so that reunion can happen.

zcoffeegirl said...

careangel..I'm so sorry for your loss.

Reegz said...

Excellent post! Cool blog I've just discovered it! Thank you for the encouragement you "ray of the joy of the Lord!"