Saturday, November 10, 2007

I've got it.....

Brilliant idea...if I was a woman of means..here's what I would do. I'd hire a life coach for myself. Think of it..somebody to tell me how to do it "all". I'm lacking a schedule for exercise, healthy eating, need to know how to lose 20 lbs., how to organize my digital pictures and find time to scrapbook, spend indiviual time with my four children, love my husband the way that I should, manage the household budget (I was way over this month), find a way to go Christmas shopping, bake, time to do Latte (lots of dreams, but little time), invest in friendships, be a support for my parents, get a system that I feel good about in the area of devotions/prayer. I'd love it if at the end of the day, I could crawl into bed and breathe a prayer of thanks to God because I felt like I did my best. I wasn't surviving, I had lived the day purposeful. I had a plan to accomplish what my family needed, what God needed from me and also had a little time to myself. Isn't this what we're all trying to accomplish? And how many of us end the day in guilt over what we didn't do? I'm thinking that this type of lifestyle wasn't what God had in mind for us. He wants us to have life and have it abundantly. But, in practical terms...what does that look like?

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I think that when you have littles, it looks just like your life. You cook, you clean, you love, you laugh, you hug, you do laundry, you watch movies, you cry, you pray, you love some more.

As a very wise friend has told me many times, unclench and do the next thing. Little bits. Perhaps we could help each other...

Katie R. said...

I agree with Kelli. When kiddos are so little and need so much of your time it does just feel like survivor mode.

I try not to think about it in that way and know that this season will pass and soon both of my children will become older and won't need what feels like 110% of my time.

Did you ever see "What About Bob"? I love that movie, in it Bill Murray just keeps saying, "Baby steps..."

I think this is the preachiest thing I've ever said in a blog comment before. I guess you're the lucky winner. :)

Carla said...

Yes. What you said. What they said. We are surviving. I think the show Survivor should be filmed in the trenches of mommyhood. A tropical island with plenty of bugs to eat sounds like a little piece of heaven to me.
Promise I will get to come up for air and take a deep, cleansing breath someday.

LadyD said...

Wow. You guys have said it all. I'm just trying to make it through each day, and realize I did my best for that day, and always know there is tomorrow. My rich brother has an empty house in the Keys, sounds like we should all maybe escape for a little mommy R&R. Anybody up for a couple Pina Colada's by the pool? -L.

zcoffeegirl said...

LOL, Katie. You can preach anytime on this blog...it was great.

Here's my point..I don't think we were made to just survive....yes..there are seasons that are survival..and sometimes it feels like they will never end. I want to look at it positively...live purposefully in the chaos..and I guess I'm just asking..how does one do that well? How do we do the daily things that we do to the glory of God?

I had an "older" mom tell me..just wait..when they get older, they wear you out emotionally..oh..great..then, your parents get sick and you get tired taking care of them...and toil, toil, toil. I don't want to live that way. Maybe it's a matter of changing my attitude...or, maybe it's just real life. And you take the moments and make the most of them. And the toil, it just makes us long for heaven and something more.

zcoffeegirl said...

Kelli..yes...we need each other..I'm convinced of that. Here's my gifts that I have to offer....organizing stuff, maybe some decorating ideas. Love to pitch, save, and donate. That's my hot button. Simplify.