Tuesday, May 6, 2008

W.I.S.......

Things not to say to a recent widow:

1. Don't grab her hands in your hands and say, "Oh, every day it is just going to get easier. And in a few months, you will wake up and will forget that this all happened." Especially if you are only in your mid 30' and have no.idea.what.you.are.talking.about.

2. "I'm a widow, too. It's been seven years and you know, each day doesn't get better. It's harder now than before. I miss him more every day."

3. At least you'll have a great reunion in heaven.

4. Pretty much omit any sentence that begins with "At least" or "Just be thankful" or, "I know how you feel" (especially if you're not a widower yourself).

5. "How are you doing?" while standing in the church foyer. How do you think she's doing? Barely holding herself in one piece. Rather, you could say, "Good to see you." "Praying for you." Hug them and whisper in their ear that you love them. Pretty much delete the whole phrase of "How are you", please. Culture shift....please.

6. And by all means...this is the absolute worst thing...please, please, don't freely share any cancer stories with her or other death related stories. She's living her own cancer nightmare at the moment, why in the world would she want to enter into someone else's nightmare? It's like when you're pregnant with your first baby and every other mother has to tell you her birthing story and how terrible it was. This is cruel to say the least.

Yes, my mother has lived through all of these statements and many more. Well intentioned stabs. Thus, the title. W.I.S.

8 comments:

Carla said...

Still wincing here. Good grief, people.

Kara Jo said...

Ugh. My heart hurts for your mom and all she's had to endure. I'm so sorry. Praying for more folks to cross her path who can respond with grace and sensitivity and not make her feel worse.

Thanks also for sharing this stuff...though most of us want to be helpful when someone's hurting, we don't always know the right things to say or do, do we?

kristi noser said...

I am so sorry for all that pain your mama is feeling.
One of the hardest things when you lose a loved one is when people say "well, when my (loved one) died..."
Trust me, I don't wanna hear it. Really.
People mean well, but you really have no capacity for their loss when you are trying to stay above water with your own.
Oh, and I do love your mama, and you too! WOOT!

Careangel said...

I am so glad you wrote down these thoughts. I have thought about doing the exact thing myself. I can't tell you how many times I was asked "How are you doing?". I wanted to scream at them "HOW DO YOU THINK I AM DOING?". I didn't though because I knew everyone meant well. You are exactly right when you say all you need to do is wrap them in your arms and remind them you love them. That means more than anything. I wish I could give your Mom a big hug and tell her that right now.

zcoffeegirl said...

Kara..I'm so thankful that God can use this to help someone else. I almost didn't hit post because I wondered if it sounded too harsh.

Careangel...I'm sorry that you can relate to this grief. And if it validates anything for you, I'm grateful. The thing is..I know people mean well, they just don't know what to say. I wouldn't either, if I didn't have personal experience.

My mom is amazing. She still gets up every day, gets her make up on, and trudges through the pain. I love her so much.

MaryLu said...

I just came over from Carla's blog thinking I'd read about some funny person with a normal life. I was partly right. I can see that you are a fun loving person, but with some really difficult stuff going on. I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad. My father died 8 years ago on my birthday, I miss him still. My second daughter is named after him, I was pregnant at the time, (didn't know it yet though.)
Thanks for sharing your heart, I don't know what else to say, lifting you and your family up in prayer.

zcoffeegirl said...

Marylu,
Thanks for visiting and for your prayers. Yeah, I'm sorry...there is some tough stuff going on over here. But, I'm hopeful that in time, God will turn my ashes into beauty. That's my prayer. He's done it before....He'll do it again.

I'm sorry about your dad. I think that it's really special that you named your daughter after him.

LadyD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.