Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No wonder...

It just hit me today, if it's true that you become best friends with your parents after you are an adult, then I just lost one of my best friends. Not only my Dad, but my best friend. No wonder I'm in such a funk.

I was reading through my grief books yesterday. The author was talking about why well intentioned comments can be so painful. He said, when somebody is trying to comfort you, and it comes out wrong, it feels as though they are taking your grief away from you. I had one of those "aha" moments. Yes! That's it! The majority of us are uncomfortable with grief, and when we see someone that we care about in pain, we want to fix it! We want to make them all better. The reality is, we can't take it away. In God's timing, and with His healing hand....it will be turned into something beautiful. For the moment, it just hurts. And it should. My Dad is worth missing. He was such a part of our lives. And always will be.

For the record, when I've felt the most comforted is when my best friends just hug me. They don't ask how I am. They can see it in my eyes. They don't say a word. I hope I can extend that to others when it's time to comfort somebody else.

5 comments:

Carla said...

My Dad is worth missing.

That speaks to the heart of the matter doesn't it? Thank you for sharing your heart. It must be so hard.

We grieve because we love, Sheri. :)

zcoffeegirl said...

Thanks, friend.

Katie R. said...

That is so very true, Sheri.

Bren said...

Praying you are doing well and still missing your friend, but have some peace.

Friend of the Rankins

zcoffeegirl said...

Thanks, Bren. I haven't been able to blog the last couple of months, too painful and private as it has been a series of waves...but I'm doing okay. God is the ultimate healer, it's going to take a long time with this one. Your post touched my heart.
Thanks.