Monday, May 5, 2008

In Between..

I'm somewhere between affliction and joy. Just read a great chapter in Piper's book, "Suffering and the Sovereignty of God". It's a collection of chapters from several authors. Not sure who I just read, but it was from a man who lost his baby son to premature death. He said sometimes when we are in pain, we don't feel the presence of God. And that doesn't mean that He's not there. When we're in between the suffering and the joy that comes after long nights of weeping, we often don't feel God's presence. He quoted Psalms 88, perhaps one of the saddest Psalms that has been written. And it doesn't end in hope. It ends in laments. He also said that in this culture, after about a week, we expect the mourner to get back to life as usual. As westerners, we are uncomfortable with grief, and we want to quickly fix it, or hide it from others. And when we see others grieve, we want to quickly assure them of the hope that they have in God for fear that they have forgotten.

It is normal to not feel God's presence when we are in the thick of grief. It is normal to not feel like praying and when you read the Bible, it often seems dormant. The pain is too great at times. But be assured, God is in the dark pit with us. His promises are true, even if it feels like He has left the building.

That's what it feels like. My heart is heavy and burdened and it took all the strength that I could muster (and with God's help) to just give the welcome last night at Latte. I didn't want to be there, didn't want to be around people and pretend that I was fine. So, I wore my dad's favorite color, yellow, with hope that it would help. In the end, it was just a shirt. God went before me, loved me through many sisters in Christ and I made it.

I was encouraged by the chapter I read tonight. And if I can think about it in spiritual terms, God put that chapter in my hands right when I needed it. My head knows He's here, and soon, my hope is, my heart will as well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri, thanks for sharing the real stuff about what you are going through. It sounds like you are grieving in a very healthy way. Praying for you...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sorry Sheri, that I deleted my last comment. I questioned whether I made myself clear.

I really appreciated this post - that's all I wanted you to know.

Andrea said...

Love you, Sheri. Praying for you. :)

Carla said...

Praying for you, friend. It was so nice to be with you at Latte.

Kara Jo said...

I love hearing what you have to share. It's also on my heart to share some of what you've just written with a friend of mine who is also grieving. In the midst of your own grief, Sheri, God is using you. Thank you.

NoOtherName said...

Sheri--obviously, I'm catching up here tonight. Thank-you for writing about your journey through grief. Your words are speaking straight into my life right now, shining light where it has been so dim. Thanks for being real and shining a flashlight for me to follow.

Time to sleep now.