Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Just for fun...

I have a two year old. If you've gotten my answering machine..you'll hear her sreaming in the backround. We affectionately call her the "screamer".

Last week I took her to County Market. She screamed because she didn't get one of those truck carts. They were all gone. You can imagine her reaction when we would turn a corner and see a mom with a young child in a truck cart and she didn't have one. Kicking and screaming like you wouldn't believe. If you're ever at Target, Walmart or County Market and you hear a screaming child, it's probably mine. We rarely get through a store without something tripping her off. I refuse to leave her home. Shopping is necessary and so far, God has helped me to remain calm and just go about my business and ignore all the staring people.

Well, today I thought we had hit the jackpot! Screamer had a truck cart! You should've seen her clapping with joy as she loaded herself in behind the black sticky wheel. She turned corners and did all kinds of amazing things in her truck cart. For the first time in months, we made it through a whole shopping trip with no screaming. Or so I thought.

As we inched towards the check out counter I heard the familiar sound. "NOOOOOOO! TWO MORE MINUTES!!!" Followed by screams. Yep..now she was mad because her truck cart experience was coming to an end. I managed to pay for my groceries, bag them up, while..you guessed it..she was still screaming. All.the.way.to.the.truck.

As I was loading my kicking and screaming toddler into the truck and pushing her into her car seat..I just laughed. I can't wait to tell these stories to her children. Maybe she'll be blessed with a screamer, too. And if I'm really mean, I'll say the dreaded pat comment, "Oh, honey. Enjoy them while they're young. It goes by so fast."

And that's a bad thing?

8 comments:

erin said...

It actually does go fast, though. Sigh...

Katie R. said...

Erin, once Shirley starts screaming through the grocery store, I promise, it won't go fast enough. :)

Carla said...

Ah...I love me a screamer story!! You are an amazing momma!

Kara Jo said...

I love it! Thanks for the story, Sheri. (And have you by chance read my recent blog post on my Nathan, titled "The Opinionater"...I have a screamer, too.) Lots of fun. It's a good thing we keep our sense of humor.

kristi noser said...

John does that in the store too. Maybe a truck cart will help, cuz it's really hard to get him in and out of the regular ones...

zcoffeegirl said...

Nothin like a John story to make me laugh.

erin said...

Kristi!
OMS, I just woke up the baby.

NoOtherName said...

Two things:

1)how much I admire you for laughing at that screaming moment...what patience, what grace...well done!

2)how much it made me smile that you mentioned the dreaded pat comment...I hate it when people tell me that...they've forgotten a few things, I tell you!