Monday, February 4, 2008

More cake, please..

I'm in a hotel in downtown Chicago. We attended DH's 25 year reunion from Moody Bible Institute. I was getting a little antsy and slightly bored when they all stood in a semi-circle and started singing. I told DH if they started with KumbaYah, I was out of there. Now, I love singing, don't get me wrong! But, when the tall man was in front of me, lots of unknown people around me, I started getting a little claustrophobic. So, I started looking around for some entertainment. It didn't take long and I found some. There was a man who was standing really close to the dessert table.

His pants were so very close to the taramusi cake. With each verse of "Great is Thy Faithfulness", he kept getting closer and closer. I couldn't take it! I slowly reached my hand behind this man's fanny to grab the cake before his pants experienced the creamy disaster. Whoo! I made it. Then, just to make sure, I leaned way over to check out his pants. Maybe it was the mom in me. Yes! He was all clean. I happened to look over across the room, and found a kindred spirit. A woman who saw me, and smiled. We shared the joy together. On verse 4 of the old hymn, I excused myself to call the kids.

When I returned...(this is the best part of the whole story)...my husband was talking to the man who's pants had been saved. I decided at that moment to exert my introverted self and to let the man know of his near disaster. I told him how his bum was very close to the fateful cake and how I moved it. I also told him that if he saw me looking at his bum, I was just checking to make sure that the cake wasn't there, afterall, wouldn't he want to know if he had cake on his bum? Then, I looked at his sweet wife who was donning a very stylish (for the 80's) gingham checked jumper with embroidered hearts and buttons, that I wasn't checking her husband out. I think my exact words were, "Hey, just want to confess that I wasn't checking your husband out!" Nervous laugh on her part.

Then, in order to take it down a notch, I looked at this gentleman and asked, "So, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm a pastor".

"Oh, really? My dad's a Free Church pastor. What type of church do you pastor?"

"Conservative Baptist".

Smile. (Evil smile, because I think to myself..I cannot.wait.to.blog.about.this.)

I just told a conservative baptist preacher that I wasn't checking out his bum.

11 comments:

Katie R. said...

Ya just have to make your own fun once in awhile. Hey and way to go on exerting your introvert self. I'd have been to shy to say anything. High five!

Andrea said...

I'd be laughing to myself about that one for a long time. :)

Anonymous said...

Good one, Sheri! And I love the description of the wife's jumper.

kristi noser said...

Gotta love bloggable moments--especially when they happen to conservative Baptist pastors...

-V- said...

I LOVE you. You are a great writer, Sher!

Birdie said...

You're hilarious! I really enjoyed your post. I'm a fellow believer (in Jesus) and an unreformed people watcher. People are my entertainment in life, especially at Wal-mart. I can so relate to your "singspiration" event...
thanks for sharing.

erin said...

Haha!! I love it.
You know his wife blogged the morning after: "Some floozy was checking out my husband! I can't believe it! Those E-Free-ers. You can't trust 'em."

LadyD said...

Ya. That's right Erin~
And she probably said "You should have SEEN the heels and short skirt she was wearing, and the black fish-net pantyhose! She even had highlights in her hair!"

Oh.
Ya.
Sheri probably doesn't have fish-net pantyhose. But did you at least wear a short skirt?!

zcoffeegirl said...

No, but I did have on a shiny, silky dark pink shirt that I had to tape because it was too low, a black jacket and pin striped dress pants. No fish nets or short skirt....sorry, L.

Kara Jo said...

This was a laugh-out-louder, Sheri. I love your stories.

I doubt, however, that the gingham-checked pastor's wife was blogging the next day...she'd say "what's a blog--who you callin' a blog?" If her wardrobe is back in the 80's, I doubt she's caught up with technology either. :)

Hope you had somewhat of a relaxing time. You deserved a nice break after all your hard work on the "Heavenly Makeover" day. (What a success!) Good job!

NoOtherName said...

AWWW THAT ROCKS! Way to shake things up, sistafriend!

I didn't know they allowed you to wear anything shiny at Moody.