Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dear Mom,

Dear Mom,
I just want you to be comforted in the fact that my DH (dear husband) has taken up your mantra when it comes to my social behavior. He doesn't say the things that you used to say like, "Sheri, be a lady." "Put your legs together, be a lady." Instead he says....

"Sheri, you can't wear those jeans! Every time you bend over..good grief!"
"Sheri, reign it in." (this is a response to my crass language at times or my sarcasm).
"Sheri, we're not in Braham." (This is where I grew up and everything was perverted, so if I hear a certain word, he'll reassure me they didn't mean it that way. Or if I sound crass, I get reprimanded. That's usually the case.)
"Where did you get that shirt? Don't bend over."
If I snap my gum in church, I get "the look".
If I put too much powdered sugar on my pancakes, I get the comment of "Think that's enough?".

Anyway..I've been in trouble alot lately. Funny thing is, just like when I was 15, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm almost 40. And I like.lots.of.powdered.sugar.on.my.pancakes. I've heard, "Reign it in" too much lately. I have been feeling sassy..he's right. I'll work on it. My mouth continues to get me in trouble. No worries, Mom.

Your daughter...still..trying to figure out what it means to be a lady.

19 comments:

Andrea said...

Sometimes I get feisty like that, so it's a good thing I don't say much because I'd prob get in trouble. 0:) Some of my sisters have more of a problem than I do. ;)

zcoffeegirl said...

Andrea..I dare you to say something feisty that you're thinking...the shock value would be so worth it.

I did say feisty..not nasty. There's a difference. :) Sometimes...it's hard for me to tell. Huh. Maybe that's my problem. Ha!

kristi noser said...

Keep being yourself Sheri, you're doing fine.
I think your "rein it in" comments are hilarious!
Yo Randy, rein THAT in!
ohiaminsooomuchtrouble...

-V- said...

mid.life.crisis.? ;-) oops, I mean...

just a little, loving, 'post-folder-incident' nip to reinforce your point...
;-)

Unknown said...

Great post!

My favorite "Reign it in" type phrase is "Get a grip, man!"

zcoffeegirl said...

K..thanks...the two of us together would so equal trouble. Wait..I meant to say F.U.N.

V...Look at me!!! (folder joke)

P..yeah..I lost the grip a long time ago! LoL. Another good one is, "Steady..." DH used to say that, didn't work. Now he's on to a whole phrase!

Kelli said...

Perhaps an nice prison-orange jumpsuit and a turtleneck. I hear you can find them at JCPenney.

Sorry...couldn't resist. A little feisty sneaking out there.

theswamphare said...

What a fun post!

For myself, I feel blessed with my feisty wife. I'm usually the one who has to 'rein it in' and get the rolled eyes.

Swampy

zcoffeegirl said...

Honestly, I think that those of us who don't reign it in..make the world interesting. But, just like all good things, they can have a dark side. My dark side showed herself a little too much last week. I'm going to lock her up in Kelli's orange suit...and just try to have the fun feisty side show.

Go to the light......

zcoffeegirl said...

Oh..and the DH broke up with me when we were in college because I was so quiet..he didn't know who I was. Guess I showed him. :) He loves me.

zcoffeegirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie R. said...

I remember when your mom spoke at LATTE. You introduced her and spoke a bit about your relationship together. I thought it was hilarious that she scolded you for taking of your nylons, which had a run, in the parking lot. The CHURCH parking lot nonetheless. HA!

zcoffeegirl said...

Oh Katie ! I forgot about that! Yes..she is the CHURCH lady...we couldn't be more different. I've spent my whole life just shocking her...most of the time on purpose, but we laugh about it. It's all in fun. She's a very funny traditional pastor's wife. She at least can laugh at all of her "rules". That's it..I'm suffering from PK syndrome. I'm healed! Katie..you're a miracle worker.

Carla said...

I like feisty.

LadyD said...

Hmmm...
Do you guys need the notes from my Smalley Marriage Seminar?
:)

I am sure you look just fine when you bend over, good grief. Maybe you could wear an apron backwards when you are at home?! Maybe one that says something sassy on it?

Kelli said...

How about some sweatpants with "JUICY" on the bum? I always thought those were attractive.

*gag*

LadyD said...

I was thinking more like....
"Just Deal With It!"
OR
"Gimme Some Sugar"

zcoffeegirl said...

I think I want a Tshirt that says, "Gimme some sugar." I like that. It just hits my funny bone for some reason.

LadyD said...

It's probably cause you have that mind from back home......
It can mean many things........
:o