Thursday, December 20, 2007

Gonzo sings at my house..all.the.time.

Do you remember Gonzo from the Muppet Show? He would sing in this gravely type voice. Add a touch of "screechy" and you have Bethany's happy sounds. She's home full time this week, no special classes. She goes from screechy sing-song type noises to a half yell, half scream when she's frustrated. She will often go back and forth very quickly from one mood to the next. She's a loud child. And, I crave quiet.

She is also enjoying the art of teasing. So, when her Gonzo voice gets out of hand, I'll ask her to sing in a nice voice. She will look at me, do it again, give me the eyes and smile, "Nice voice". Or she'll yell it, depending on what her mood is. But, I think she knows it bugs me.

In my quest to live intentionally..I've been asking God to help me to have patience and love beyond my own ability. I've asked him to help me see His face when I look into hers. She was, after all, God's idea. I've been telling myself when I hear the Gonzo voice, she's happy..let it go.

Today, she and Gonzo were in full swing. Instead of trying to quiet her down, I looked her in the eyes, and really listened to what she was screeching..I mean singing. It was from the "Doughnut Man" video. It went something like this....

Oh, the love of Jesus.
Oh, the love of Jesus.
Oh, the love of Jesus.
That washes white as snow.

Thank you, Jesus for the gentle reminder, right in the middle of my battle. Your love is enough. Your love washes my impatient sinful heart. Thank you.

5 comments:

-V- said...

I think your blog just keeps getting better and better. You'll be in magazines before we know it... :-) Thank you for sharing these precious moments, friend; your example shines for all of us.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder, Sher.

Dawne said...

That's awesome! It's amazing what we can learn from a 3 year old, huh? I'm glad you took the time to really listen 'cuz now we can all learn from you.

Katie R. said...

That is sweetness wrapped up in energy.

Kelli said...

Wow. Somehow or other, your experiences hit at the same time I need to hear what you've learned. I wonder why that is...duh.

It's the toughest lesson, I think, to love them where they are. Not to try to make them "regular" or "perfect". I've struggled with that for years and your comments reminded me that they're made like this by GOD! Not so that we can practice our perfecting skills, but so that we can lean on Him and learn to appreciate ALL that He has made.

Thanks for the timely reminder, friend!