Thursday, May 13, 2010

Moments

Life is filled with different types of moments. Moments of seemingly small significance. Recognizing that David's bubble maker that he is creating with his dad's drill is amazing, explaining to Bethany why she can't be a morning kindergartner like her friend, hearing Faith say that she loves me and that I'm her special gift, and waking up Caleb and talking about what he was like when he was little. A phone call with the Elder, and hearing his heartbeat for the body at FCC. Checking emails, browsing on facebook while drinking my morning coffee, crying at the video from Selah and being reminded how much my Jesus loves me. The breakfast dishes are once again calling my name, I need to change sheets, vacuum the floors, make a meatloaf and somewhere in my day, read my Bible and exercise and tackle that organizing project that I started 3 weeks ago. The one I couldn't finish when difficult moments arrived and derailed me from the seemingly mundane chores on Oakgreen Circle.

Then there are those "other" moments. The ones that your life stops and your world is defined by something different. The moment that you hear a diagnosis. The moment at the cemetery when the fifty verses of Amazing Grace is finally finished and you wonder to yourself...now what? There are beautiful moments as well, getting engaged, walking down the isle of my dad's arm, feeling my baby kick for the first time and then the joy of meeting that little one face to face.

And I think to myself...(can you hear the song.."What a Wonderful World")....what do all these moments add up to? I am constantly struggling to make ordinary moments count, to be faithful even in the tough moments of parenting, to not let self-pity or despair overtake me. Discouragement seeps into those ordinary moments with a whisper of discontent and if I don't pay attention to it, it gives way to something bigger and uglier and a posture that is not honoring to my King.

I'm left with the choice to believe that all of the ordinary moments of all of our days add up to something bigger. I often think that it's in the ordinary moments that great things happen. I wonder how many things I miss because I'm not paying attention or I'm too tired to see? I'm also convinced that the God who created this world, loves me enough to care about every little moment of every waking hour. That fact alone keeps me going and gives me what I need for the next several moments.

Now..about those breakfast dishes.

2 comments:

Kara Jo said...

Beautiful post Sheri. Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

Great post Sheri!